Measure completion on a page by page basis

build learning interactivity

Moderator: Nav

Measure completion on a page by page basis

Postby Nav » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:35 am

Let's say you want to build a lesson where the learner has to do something on each page before that page is considered complete. And you also want to show that person's progress with a percent tracker on the Master Page.

The best way to do this would be to use True/False variables for each page, and then one Number variable to add to and do the math. Then everytime you want to update the percent tracker, you fire a global event, return your variable to Zero, and then start calculating based on each True/False variable. Here's how to do it:

Part 1 - http://screencast.com/t/WFX8K9qv4
Part 2 - http://screencast.com/t/gq3i9gDmg

- Nav
Nav

Re: Measure completion on a page by page basis

Postby Greycious » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:34 am

Hi Nav,

Can you also do this when you use branching? I'd like to apply this in the module you already helped me on, but in my 6th chapter, I have 2 paths. Can I still work with a completion percentage (0-100%) on each page?

Another question: in the tutorial I see the completion tracker to be a visual element. Is it also possible to work with numbers? So simply show the percentage completed?

Cheers, Sarah
Greycious

Postby Nav » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:24 am

Hi Sarah,
Yes, this is possible. In my example I had 6 pages. Let's say that there was a branch at some point, and so you either visited Page 4 or Page 5. Meaning that the two ways through the lesson would be 1234_6 or 123_56, and that would be considered complete. In that case, I would simply divide the total by 5, instead of 6, because they only have to view five pages for the lesson to be considered 100%.

Now, you have to make sure that once they choose a path, they cannot go back to other one, otherwise they will be able to get 120%. You could create a combined condition action in that case. In my example I had one conditional action for page4complete, and one for page5complete. You could create an action like this instead of two separate actions:

2014-12-08_0940.png
2014-12-08_0940.png (22.3 KiB) Viewed 16390 times

That way, even if they did go back and do both those pages, it would only be counted once (it would only add 1 if they completed either or both).

As for not using the percent tracker, yes, that's certainly possible. You're calculating all this as a number anyway. Instead of using
Response: Pct Tracker > setValue > Function > PercentDoneVar

you could just place a text object on your Master Page and do this
Response: Text object > setText > Function > PercentDoneVar

Maybe place a second text object next to it with the "%" symbol.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes. I can record a video of the changes to my example lesson (from the previous video).

- Nav
Nav

Postby Greycious » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:17 am

Hi Nav

Thanks for all your feedback. It is really usefull.
It looks like it is working now.
The only difference is I don't work at the masterpage, because we do not want the percentage on some pages.
So instead of putting the actions on the masterpage, I did it on the pages separetely.

The only problem I have at the moment is that the percentage doesn't appear immediately on the screen. So first you see the page is loaded, and then half a second later the percentage appears. Is it possible to show the percentage at the same time as the page is loading? Or is it because of all the actions I added?

And my last question: it doesn't add up to 100% .. I have 19 pages where I want to show the percentage, so I divided the score by 19, and multiplied by a 100. Do you know what I am doing wrong? Or should I use 18 pages, because on the 19th page I want the 100%..

Mind you: we use branching within chapter 6. We applied this by using the "OR"-option within the actions.

I hope it is all clear for you. I hope you have the answers.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards, Sarah
Greycious

Postby Nav » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi Sarah,
Yes, the delay is due to the calculation. There are number of actions that need to fire, and they do take a moment. There isn't really a way to speed it up, so probably best to live with it rather than try to cover up the page or something like that.

As for not adding up to 100%, I'd have to dig into the lesson a little more to give you an exact answer. But it sounds like the page is considered complete AFTER they do what needs to be done on that page. So when they arrive on the last page, it technically hasn't been completed yet, so it won't add to your percentage. Once they complete the page, you can fire those same actions to recalculate the percentage and update it. Or you need to decide that each page is considered complete as soon as they land on it. Once you figure out what is the best behavior, we can set that up.

- Nav
Nav

Postby Greycious » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:14 am

Hi Nav,

Thanks for your feedback again.
Most of it is working right now. It ends at 100% and on some pages i blocked it, where we do not want to show the percentage.

There is one more thing i don't like about it: When smartbuilder is loading the other page, there is for a really short time a white screen. Thats totally fine. But the number (of the percentage tracker) stays on the screen.
So what you see is: a full page with tracker, white page with tracker, and then the next page with tracker.
Can i change that? So the percentage tracker will appear at the same time as the page itself?

Thanks!

- Sarah
Greycious

Postby Nav » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi Sarah,
Is that percentage on the Master Page? I think the Master Page elements continue to show across pages. Unfortunately we don't have a

Page Controller > onPageAboutToChange
Text > hide

and

Page Controller > onFinishedChanging
Text > show

There is no built-in way to control it to that degree. onPageChange is basically onFinishedChanging.

If you really want to go nuts with this, you could change how all your navigation works, but I think you'd end up with the same problem as before - it would hide and then when it is shown it would take a moment to calculate, so you'd be back at square one.

- Nav
Nav

Postby Merel » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:16 am

Hi Nav,

Merel here. Yes, the percentage is on the masterpage.
And is there a possibility to make something like a 'fade in', so at least its shown a bit later?

For the rest everything is working.

Kind regards, Merel
Merel

Postby Nav » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:26 am

Hi Merel,
It would be fine if you want to have it fade in. You would put a Show transition on the text object (see video below). There is no way around the delay in calculating the score, though. You're in the same boat whether the percentage is calculated fresh on each page, or just calculated repeatedly on the Master Page.

Since the actions are all on the Master Page now, you can change how all your navigation works so that you force the percentage to hide, and then change to whatever page you want. http://screencast.com/t/69QWguKlGg0W This will require you to change how each of the back or next actions work on every page. I don't know if it's easier to instead put your calculation actions back on every page, and then just have the text fade in after it calculates.

You also will need to remove the show action here - http://screencast.com/t/rqAoSIy1vU and instead move the condition and show to here - http://screencast.com/t/oGnYJsyvqO

Hope that helps!
Nav

Postby Merel » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:32 am

Hi Nav,

Thanks a lot! It seems to be working a bit better.

Kind regards, Merel
Merel

Return to Action/Flow Chart/Variable