Using variables to skip nodes in a flow chart

build learning interactivity

Moderator: Nav

Using variables to skip nodes in a flow chart

Postby GeneS » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:39 pm

Is it possible to use T-F variables (or some other method) to skip nodes in a flow chart?

I'm creating a simulation where all learners will see most of the nodes in a flow chart. But depending on how the learner answers a question at the beginning of the simulation, they'll need to be skipped over a node somewhere down the line.

The simulation involves a person's retirement, and you walk through it chronologically, starting at age 61, making various decisions. The first question for the learner is what age should the person retire? The learner can pick age 62, 66, or 70.

The next stopping point in the simulation is Age 62, where the learner is informed that the person has retired, and some stuff happens. If the learner had selected 66 or 70 on the initial question, they would be skipped over this stopping point, which is easy to do with the flow chart. Then there are stopping points and decisions at ages 63, 64, and 65 that all learners see, regardless of how they answered that initial when-to-retire question.

The next stopping point is Age 66, where the person retires (if they didn't retire at 62). The only learners who will get stopped here are the ones who answered 66 on the original question. Learners who said 62 or 70 skip over this node. The question is, how to make this stopping point "conditional", without making three complete (but largely identical) branches starting at the beginning? That seems like a pain.

The same issue comes up at Age 70 when the person retires (if he hasn't already). Learners who selected 70 at the beginning stop here; learners who selected 62 or 66 skip over.

I can see that this would be easy to program using actions instead of the the flow chart, but programming the entire simulation using all actions would be more time consuming than using the flow chart. I wondered if I could get the best of both worlds.

Thanks.
GeneS

Re: Using variables to skip nodes in a flow chart

Postby Nav » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi Gene,
Great question. And the answer is yes! It's pretty easy to do. You can point to Variables or other things in the Condition nodes in the Flow Chart (they don't have to be an object you can see). Here's how - http://screencast.com/t/SOJ5nkwl

- Nav
Nav

Postby GeneS » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:09 am

Excellent! Thanks, Nav.
We'll have a few other conditional nodes that could require some jumping around, so this technique will come in handy.
GeneS

Postby tahiya » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Very helpful!
play, play, play
tahiya

Return to Action/Flow Chart/Variable