Order of operations

build learning interactivity

Moderator: Nav

Order of operations

Postby GeneS » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:43 am

I have a flow chart that also has some Action List actions associated with it (though not to control the flow; that all takes place via the flow chart) and also conditional actions programmed into the flow chart. My question is which actions are carried out FIRST at run time: Action List actions, or actions in the flow chart.

For example, suppose I have a conditional action "A" between Node 1 and Node 2 in the flow chart, and I also have an Action list Action "B" whose trigger is, Node 2>onShow. Is action A or action B carried out first? Seems like it should be A, but I"m not sure that's always been the case in my lesson. It's possible I've messed up elsewhere, which is causing unexpected behavior, but I wanted to clarify the order of actions before additional debugging.

Thanks.
GeneS

Re: Order of operations

Postby Nav » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi Gene,
In my simple tests, I found that the Flow Chart was firing first - http://screencast.com/t/JO79STtK

I'll speak to the developers to see if that is ALWAYS the case, or if it can be dependent on other stuff (such as content loading in, or computational strain). Perhaps you can use a similar debugging method as I did in the video (Text Variable > appendOnNewLine will tell you the order things happen), to see what's happening in your lesson.

- Nav
Nav

Re: Order of operations

Postby Nav » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi Gene,
The content of the Flow Chart shouldn't matter. It should always work this way.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Action/Flow Chart/Variable