Fruit Machine - 3 random numbers bug

Working with Media (graphics, audio, video) & other Assets

Moderator: Nav

Fruit Machine - 3 random numbers bug

Postby monmouthrider » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:30 am

Hi Nav,

I'm building a simple fruit machine game. The basic interaction is built using actions, a small swf animation and some animated graphics for the spinning drums. I'm using three SB Random Number generator widgets to produce a spin result on each drum.

The preview is working fine most of the time however every so often the first drum seems to be skipping on and drum two does not stop spinning. Its like drum one picks up the random result for drum two.

Could you please look at lesson 'fruit machine' (Trevor White-Miller). If you preview and spin about 10 times you should see the bug. I think its because I'm using three random number generators on the same screen. They have different cast names but the events coming back from the widget swfs may appear the same to SB.

Regards

Trevor
monmouthrider

Re: Fruit Machine - 3 random numbers bug

Postby Nav » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi Trevor,
I think it has something to do with the transitions of the items leaving. Somehow the items that you're hiding are coming dangerously close to the first checkmark showing. On the occasions that they finish hiding after the first check is shown, it is causing issues. See some of my experiments (I made copies of your first page - all I really did was make the problem worse).

I'll have to play with it more to figure it out. Somewhere in the combination of the transitions, the timeline, and the SWF Messenger, things are getting out of sync.

Oooh. Actually I think I got it. Check out Page 3 in the lesson and see if you can run into the error. I'm not sure what I did. Lots of rearranging of actions to try to get the values recorded in variables first, and then start all the animation stuff. But now the scrolling animation isn't synced with the disappearing of the last item. We should probably carry the rest of this conversation on through email, because I doubt it makes any sense to 3rd party readers. ...it only kind of makes sense to me...

- Nav
Nav

Return to Media & Assets