Preloading graphics

Working with Media (graphics, audio, video) & other Assets

Moderator: Nav

Preloading graphics

Postby tahiya » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:43 am

I have a great simulation activity that has a nice graphic of the instrument underneath the buttons as a background and I have it set to preload. One of my reviewers however keeps seeing just the text labels and the shapes and no graphics or buttons when he accesses that activity or any simulation. I have tried checking on his connections, browser settings, etc. but he doesn't seem to have anything out of the ordinary going on. Thoughts?
what he sees
01.png
01.png (39.65 KiB) Viewed 8518 times

what he should see
2.png
2.png (814.91 KiB) Viewed 8518 times
play, play, play
tahiya

Re: Preloading graphics

Postby jmalatino » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:15 pm

The first thing I would check is the size of that background image. If you click on the image and select in the properties panel "Lock at Original Size" and your image gets really big you may need to reduce the actual size for it to load quickly. Be aware that once you click this option you will not be able to undo this action in SmartBuilder so you may want to write down the size your image was displaying at before you click this option.

If your lesson is not set to scale the image should be the exact size it is going to be in SmartBuilder and 72 dpi.
If your lesson is set to scale I would save the image at 150 dpi.

In both cases I would save it as an optimized .jpg with compression of about 65%. This will produce a quickly loading image that will still look as good as the original and at 150 dpi will scale well. Be aware that if you do have lesson scaling on this will increase the demands of loading images.Because if you bring in an image at 150 dpi you will be scaling it down in SmartBuilder to fit. Thus it will take longer for images to load.

If this is the cause of your issue feel free to contact me and I can give you some further tips for optimizing images for use in SmartBuilder lessons.
jmalatino

Postby tahiya » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:50 pm

I use save for web in photoshop to create images and output them as png's to the exact pixel size I'm seeking for output so as not to struggle with scaling later on. The image in the course is 441K, 792x450 at 72dpi, or at least that is what photoshop claims.
play, play, play
tahiya

Postby jmalatino » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:57 pm

441 kb is rather large for a web based image. JPG may result in a smaller file size since you can play with the compression settings. It should still preview but may take a little while if the viewer's internet connection is slower. If the image is set to "Preload" the page should not show anything until all images that are on the page that are set to preload have loaded. I hope this helps.
jmalatino

Postby tahiya » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:40 am

thanks. I'll drop the png down to 8 and give up the transparency and see if that helps.
play, play, play
tahiya

Return to Media & Assets