Using a Custom Flash Page Preloader

Working with Media (graphics, audio, video) & other Assets

Moderator: Nav

Using a Custom Flash Page Preloader

Postby scott » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:46 pm

Hi,
I was wondering where I can find more information about using a custom swf page preloader. It appears from the help file that I have to name my preloader 'loader.swf'. Is that all I have to do?
Thanks!
scott

Postby scott » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:57 pm

...never mind, I found the setting on the screen after login...
scott

Using a custom pre-loader

Postby Leif » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:52 pm

First off, you can use any .swf. It doesn't need to be named loader.swf. (Do you remember where you saw that? I looked for it, and didn't see any reference to that.)

You choose a new page pre-loader in your preferences node at the bottom of your home tree. (Make sure to hit "Apply" after making a change.

If you want to have your pre-loader show status, then you can add actionscript to your .swf to update the loader.

The swf code of an animated loader would look something like this:
} else if (percent == 34) {
status_bar.gotoAndPlay(34);
} else if (percent == 72) {
status_bar.gotoAndPlay(72);
} else if (percent == 80) {
status_bar.gotoAndPlay(80);
}
}

stop();

The percent values you see here represent the status values a SmartBuilder lesson reports back to the loader. They roughly correspond to the size of the various library files as they are being loaded.

The above ActionScript animates a bar to fill from left to right where on frame 1, it is 1 pixel wide, and on frame 100, it is 100 pixels wide.
Leif

Re: Using a Custom Flash Page Preloader

Postby jeevo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:28 am

I have a further question about this. My custom-built loader works correctly the first time the course loads. When each page is attempting to load, however, the little progress bar is already filled. I'm assuming this is because the entire lesson has already loaded, but the page is still trying to load? Is there a way to reset the progress bar each time a new page is loading, or have the pages correspond with the progress bar instead of the entire lesson? (Obviously I'm not familiar with or good at flash coding!)

Thanks!
jeevo

Re: Using a Custom Flash Page Preloader

Postby Nav » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi Jeevo,
This is not possible. If you notice our default preloader has been designed with this in mind, and it just says "preloading media" on the last frame. Technically this is true, as well. The lesson data has been loaded, and it is just preloading the media that is used on that particular page.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Media & Assets