A considerable amount of graphics

Working with Media (graphics, audio, video) & other Assets

Moderator: Nav

A considerable amount of graphics

Postby Nav » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:19 pm

An emailed question from one SmartBuilder user:

Hi Nav!

I have a quick question for you. I've done several courses now with a considerable amount of graphics layered in, and sometimes it takes a while for everything to load. I'm concerned that a person playing the game wouldn't get a page fully loaded before they click through to the next page.

Is there any tool that "condenses" this in some way or speeds up this process? Or is it just a question of bandwidth?

Thanks!
Nav

Re: A considerable amount of graphics

Postby Nav » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi,
So if you have images and stuff in your lesson, that data needs to be downloaded by the learner.

I suppose you could zip the files (which would compress the amount of data), but then you have to assume that the learner knows how to download the lesson, unzip it, and then also Flash content has security issues when you run it locally, and there's no way for it to communicate with an LMS if you're using one. So I would not recommend that.

One thing that you might make this easier (in the future) is to try to reduce the size of the images before bringing them into SmartBuilder. This isn't always necessary, and it really depends on the size of the image to begin with. If your image is larger than the authoring stage when you first add it to the page, that's a good indicator that your images are unnecessarily large.

The last thing that you can do, and this will probably be the most helpful to you, is to turn on the Preload property for your graphic objects. It's a property on each object. What this does is it will wait to display the page until that image has loaded - so it will stay on the "Preloading Media" message that you get between pages. This means that once the data has loaded for that particular page, it will then show it. You don't need to turn the property on for all images - just the ones that Start Visible. If you have images that don't show up until the learner clicks something, you might not want to Preload it. Once the page is up, it will work on loading the rest of the images on that page.

There is not a "preload entire lesson" setting, though we are contemplating that functionality for our next version.

Let me know if anything is unclear, or if you have any other questions.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Media & Assets