Action Script 3

Working with Media (graphics, audio, video) & other Assets

Moderator: Nav

Action Script 3

Postby Terry Sayers » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:58 am

I am trying to insert a SWF object in a lesson using the SWF Messenger object but I cannot get it to work. I want the swf to be stopped to begin with then at a certain time start paying then stop on the last frame on completion. I am using Flash CC to create the SWF file and Flash CC does not support Action Script 2. I know in the past SB did not support Action Script 3. Is this still the case?
Terry Sayers

Re: Action Script 3

Postby Nav » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:01 am

Hi Terry,
This is still the case. SmartBuilder is written in as2, and it's a Flash constraint that as3 and as2 can't work together. Apparently the only way to output as2 content is to save your file and open it with the previous version of Flash and create the output using that.

If your animation doesn't have any interaction once it starts up, you may want to consider outputting it as an FLV video. You can start and stop that using SmartBuilder actions.

- Nav
Nav

Postby Terry Sayers » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:46 am

I do not have a previous version of Flash installed now since upgrading to CC. It's not a problem with this animation as I have already re-done it as an FLV but I was intending doing an interaction in Flash later on in the lesson. I guess I am going to have to re-think this. Will this AS3 issue ever be resolved?
Terry Sayers

Postby Nav » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:55 am

Hi Terry,
What sort of interaction are we talking about? Does it need to pass information to and from SmartBuilder? Or is it self-contained? If it's self contained, you can use an IFrame to display it. We use this method to bring in Captivate 5+ pieces into SmartBuilder.

If you do need them to send info to and from SmartBuilder, you have to use as2. You might be able to buy an older copy of Flash for pretty cheap and install both. If you've purchased older versions of Flash, you may be able to download that version again, and use your old key. I think I have like 3 versions of Flash on my computer...

Unfortunately getting as2 and as3 to communicate isn't a bug that can be resolved. The languages are very different from each other, and Adobe clearly has no interest in allowing them to talk to one another, as they no longer support as2.

That means that SmartBuilder would have to re-written from the ground up in as3. While we are working on version 4, it looks like we'll be moving away from Flash output in favor of HTML5, since it can run on desktops and mobile devices. That's not to say that in version 4 you won't be able to use your own Flash content, or even possibly communicate to/from SmartBuilder. But from SB4's perspective, it will most likely be communicating with html & javascript, so your Flash piece would need an html/javascript shell to aid in communication. I can't give any more details at the moment as it's still in development.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Media & Assets