Playing sounds after HTML5 conversion

Working with Media (graphics, audio, video) & other Assets

Moderator: Nav

Playing sounds after HTML5 conversion

Postby Matthias Kausch » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:47 am

Hi all,

I am stuck trying to play sound files (voiceover) after HTML5 conversion.

I understand that on mobile devices (iPad/iPhone) direct user-level interaction is needed to play media files. I therefore imported the sounds into timeline objects and placed them in the visible part of the page. After conversion, I expected play buttons to appear where the timeline objects are placed as described in the HTML5 features list, but nothing is visible. Am I expecting too much or the wrong thing or am I simply missing something?

Thanks.

Matt
Matthias Kausch

Re: Playing sounds after HTML5 conversion

Postby Nav » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi Matthias,
There shouldn't be a button for the timeline when you're viewing the HTML5 version UNLESS you're viewing it on an iOS device. If you're viewing the HTML5 version on a computer, it should just autoplay (if autoplay is turned on). Are you testing this on an iOS device, and the button isn't showing up? Try this sample - http://examples.suddenlysmart.com/html5 ... layer.html

If that is not working, we'll need to fix it. In the meantime, you can also just use whatever button you'd like to trigger an action to start the timeline playing. Or you can try using Page Controller > onPageLoad to start the Timeline playing.

- Nav
Nav

Postby Matthias Kausch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:20 am

Hi Nav,

Thank you for the link to the voiceover example, which plays perfectly, both on Mac and on iPad.

I think I'll have to start from the bottom to get my head around this. The timelines I have placed in the visible part of my own course are not showing on iPad.

I have a couple of ideas that I'll try first. I'll come back to you if I get stuck.

Thanks again,

Matt
Matthias Kausch

Postby Matthias Kausch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:57 am

Hi Nav,

Back again with a problem, I don't think I can solve alone.

I have managed to display the play buttons for my timeline objects on iPad now - all I had to do was to set the objects to auto play. That was the easy bit :-).

However, when I view the lesson on iPad, on tapping the play button the sound file does not play and the time indicators underneath the buttons show all zeros, which lets me assume iPad doesn't see the media files that are associated to my timeline objects. On inspection on computer (in SmartBuilder), the media files are associated with the timeline objects and play in the timeline preview window. They also auto play on computer, as per settings.

I have also experimented with a separate play button, which works on PC and Mac, but again on iPad the sound file is not playing on click. I was also unable to get my timelines to play audible sound on page load on iPad.

The lesson I am using to experiment is called HTML5 Test Lesson, if you want to have a look. The (external) play button is in the pop up that displays initially, the timeline play button is in the display that shows on pressing start.

Hope you can help.

Regards,

Matt
Matthias Kausch

Postby Nav » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi Matthias,
Looks like you have to have click on the timeline object's play button on an iOS device. You can't get away with a separate SB button to get it to play. I adjusted your actions to get it to play, but no luck testing on an iPhone.

I placed the timeline object back on the stage for the first audio, and set it to Audio play and it worked as expected (can see the play arrow, have to click on it to get the audio to play). Looks like iOS devices really don't like audio playing without you directly meaning to play it.

Are you using Timelines instead of Audio Objects for a particular reason? Simply because the audio object wasn't doing what you wanted? Or because you were planning on setting up animations later (once you got it to play).

As with everything, I would suggest testing with an even simpler lesson, like the one I linked to earlier, rather than a lesson with lots of other actions and structure that are just going make it more difficult to get to the important information. In fact, here, I updated my original lesson so you can try timelines and regular audio objects on different pages with and without autoplay - http://examples.suddenlysmart.com/html5 ... layer.html (may need to clear cache to see latest version, or use shift+reload).

- Nav
Nav

Return to Media & Assets