Video quality

Working with Media (graphics, audio, video) & other Assets

Moderator: Nav

Video quality

Postby Greycious » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:25 am

Hi there,

In my module, we use video. When publishing the module, the quality of the video's is lower than in the video that I upload. Is this a setting I can change in Smartbuilder?

Cheers, Sarah
Greycious

Re: Video quality

Postby Nav » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:06 am

Hi Sarah,
Are you using HTML5 or the Flash (default) output? What is the format of the video that you're uploading (FLV or MP4)?

In the Flash output, the video isn't being altered in any way, so the file you upload is the file you see at the end. Possibly if the video is scaled up it might start to look pixelated, or if scaled down you might lose some crispness (like on text). Keep in mind that if the lesson is set to scale, and you have a small video/lesson, when the whole lesson scales up, it might look bad.

In the HTML5 Conversion, if the video started out as a FLV, it will be converted to MP4 and OGG, and there could possibly be some quality loss (I haven't noticed it, but I haven't been looking for it).

Can you tell me the name of a lesson that has a video, the video format, and your eventual output? I'll take a look and get back to you. You can email me directly if you'd like.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Media & Assets