Communication with templates

Use templates to standardize and re-use content functionality

Moderator: Nav

Communication with templates

Postby lwolfe » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:36 am

I have a question about communication between a template and a lesson.

If we link to the template once it is applied, updates will flow from the template to the lesson. Groovy and very helpful.

However, if someone does not unlink the properties and value when making changes in the lesson, this will change the template and feed out to other lessons, if I understand correctly. Very far from groovy. Is my understanding correct? If so, is there a way to lock templates so that only specified authors can make changes, and then keep the lesson from feeding back?

In other words, we are looking for communication to flow from one direction rather than both, and we need control over who can make changes. Otherwise we will not be able to use the helpful part of the functionality, especially given that we have some inexperienced users.

Thanks!
lwolfe

Re: Communication with templates

Postby Nav » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:34 am

Hello,
The flow of edits, as it were, is already unidirectional, from the template to the lesson.

Once a template is applied and linked to a lesson, the only way to edit the template elements within a lesson is to un-link them from the template. The "P" (position) and "V" (values) indicators (on the objects and in the cast) show which objects and what properties are still tied to the template, and will update if the template is changed. Actions, Variables, and the Flow Chart are also linked to the template, and will change with the template.

Therefore, the only way to edit a template so that it applies to more than one lesson is to open the template directly from "Work In Progress > Templates" or "My Published Content > Templates". Hope this helps!

- Nav
Nav

Re: Communication with templates

Postby lwolfe » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:13 pm

That is most helpful, indeed. We obviously misunderstood, as it seemed to us from descriptions that, as long as it stayed linked, any changes would communicate back to the template. Thanks for the help!
lwolfe

Return to Templates