Swapping Templates

Use templates to standardize and re-use content functionality

Moderator: Nav

Swapping Templates

Postby ScottA » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:22 am

I would like to know if I can swap templates in a lesson.

I have a template that I have used in numerous places. However, in a couple of those places, the actions had to be changed a bit, but not on most of the others.

So I made a new template by just starting with the old template and changing some of the actions - all of the stage elements are exactly the same.

I would now like to swap the old template for the new one in those few places instead of completely deleting the old template in those places and starting over again for each one.

Please let me know if there is a way to do this.

Thanks,

Scott Allison
VIN Multimedia
Scott Allison
Veterinary Information Network
ScottA

Re: Swapping Templates

Postby SB Support » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:46 am

Hi Scott,

When creating a new template, unfortunately you cannot retain links from the old template to the associated lessons. In addition to the option you already mentioned (delete the old template and apply the new one in the lessons that you want to update), you could consider un-linking the template from the lessons that you don't want to update, then change the original template's actions. This way, the new actions will only flow through to the lessons you want to receive them. The downside to this approach is that the de-linked lessons will no longer be updateable from the template since they would be de-linked. Basically, it's a short term time-saver, but the first approach may be better b/c it will retain the benefit of single source updates for future changes.

Regarding the first approach, what is your concern? Is it that you've already customized some of the text and don't want to lose this by deleting and applying a new template? If so, if the new actions affect just a few objects, maybe you could consider creating a second template with only the objects required by the new actions, then apply this template in addition to the old template and then swap the actions to point to the old template content. Just an idea....
SB Support

Return to Templates