Display Set in template

Use templates to standardize and re-use content functionality

Moderator: Nav

Display Set in template

Postby ScottA » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:45 pm

I am having trouble with display sets in templates. In particular, if I unlink the position of objects (click the 'P') and move them around (specifically centering images) I would expect them to stay in the position I placed them. If I preview the lesson, all is fine and the objects are where I placed them. However, when I publish the lesson, and then View the published lesson, the objects are not in the locations I placed them.

Is there something I am forgetting to do for unlinking position of objects in display sets? I even unlink the display set itself.
Scott Allison
Veterinary Information Network
ScottA

Re: Display Set in template

Postby Nav » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi Scott,
Hmm, I wasn't able to reproduce that problem. Are you rechecking the "P" after moving the object? Once you unlink something for Position and move it, you should leave the "P" unchecked. You shouldn't have to unlock the display, just the objects inside it. Or not-orange, I guess. If you're not rechecking it, and still running into this issue, then we should set up a conference call and take a look together. Hope that helps!

- Nav
Nav

Postby ScottA » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:48 am

I triple-checked to make sure I was keeping the display set and images within that display set unlinked for position. But yes, that would expain it!

I have not had this problem with small templates...just one display set. However, this one I'm having trouble with is a large template. Basically, I made this template out of a whole lesson page -- it contains several display sets and within one of the display sets are multiple images per display. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem I'm having, but maybe.

It is seemingly random. Sometime my realignment sticks, sometimes it doesn't. But even when it does, after I republish the template for some reason, I sometimes lose the realignment of that display set.

I will redisign the templates. Break this one large one down into smaller components. If I still have trouble with these small ones, I will post back here and maybe we can schedule a gotoMeeting so I can show you. But after testing a bit, the problem doesn't occur with smaller templates.

Making smaller templates is probably a best practice anyway :D
Scott Allison
Veterinary Information Network
ScottA

Postby Nav » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:41 am

Hi Scott,
You're right and right. Smaller templates are usually the way to go. But sometimes it makes sense to have a big one, like a Master Page, that you only have to apply once. If you do run into this problem again, please let us know and we'll follow up to see why things aren't working properly. Happy authoring!

- Nav
Nav

Return to Templates