Master Page Template and IFrame conflict

Use templates to standardize and re-use content functionality

Moderator: Nav

Master Page Template and IFrame conflict

Postby aprilsheninger » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:23 am

Hi.

I am using one of the Master Page templates (Black). This template has drop-down menus that allow the user to navigate between pages. It also contains a Search and Glossary which are really nice. In the lesson that I am developing on Web 2.0 tools, I also am using the IFrame object o bring in youtube videos from the In Plain English series. When I tested the menus with the Iframe after publishing, the menu displays behind the video, so the user cannot use the menu at all except the first two options (see attachment). They can navigate using the Page Controller, but this bug defeats the purpose of adding the menu. Can someone take a look and let me know know if you have any ideas for a work around? I'd really like to use both options if possible. I thought about moving the menu over to the right side away from the video, but then the search or glossary are useless. I also thought about adding a action that hides the video when the menus are open, but because it's a template, I can't monkey around with the coding. Please help.

The url for the published version is http://www.sa.psu.edu/workshops/Web/player.html.

The name of the file in SmartBuilder that I've been working with is Web 2.0 Version 5.

Also is there a way to have the menus open when clicked instead of on rollover?

Thanks,
April
aprilsheninger

Re: Master Page Template and IFrame conflict

Postby Nav » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi April,
Great questions! To answer them: no, yes and yes.

No, you can't do anything about IFrame showing up on top of the menus or pop ups or anything. Because of the nature of the technology, IFrame will always be the top layer. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about this, as this behavior is inherent to Flash.

Your idea of moving the menu and other popups so that they don't conflict with the IFrame is a valid one. If you can move all the popups/popdowns objects away, or make the IFrame object smaller, that would be ideal.

Your other idea to hide the IFrame when the menu is shown and to have the resources open when clicked can be solved by making your own template. I typically wouldn't link to a SmartBuilder template that we've supplied. Instead, from the Home Window go to the Templates folder, select the template you are interested in, and click Save As. Then you can monkey around with actions all you want. You can change the onRollover to an onClick, and add responses to those actions that hide and show your IFrame object (or rather fire a global event). Then you can add that template to your lesson and link it.

Of course, when creating and maintaining your own templates, you'll need to make sure to delete unused variables lest they build up excessively. Let me know if any of that was unclear!

- Nav
Nav

Postby aprilsheninger » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks for the responses, Nav. I think I might end up doing both for two different courses. The instructions were very clear.

I do have a follow up question which might be a no brainer, but I am struggling. After I have created the template and saved it, it goes into Templates sub-folder inside my Work in Progress folder. How do I use it on a lesson that I have already created? So if I end up developing an interface I like better than the original one I selected or the SME ends up hating it for some reason? I can't use the Templates panel because the templates that I create aren't added there. I cannot think of another way to apply the template other than doing a Save As after the template is opened and then adding the content of the lesson which kills the idea of applying it to a lesson that was previously developed. Any way around this?

Thanks,
April
aprilsheninger

Postby Nav » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:42 am

Hi April,
You must publish your templates in order to apply them. I was looking through the User Guide, and I believe that this step is simply missing. We'll be updating that shortly.

Just a s a recap, you can create a template by:
1. Starting a new one from scratch in the WIP > Templates folder
2. From a lesson page by clicking File > Save As Template
3. Going to a shared template and choosing Save As

All 3 options will create a Work in Progress version. But after that, you have to publish your template to get it show up in your Published > Templates folder. Once it's published , it will show up in the Edit > Apply Template popup (under the My Templates header).

Now, when you apply a template, it will ask you if you want to link the template to the original. You'll want to leave this unchecked for non-advanced uses. Such as just using the template as a starting point for a page, meaning that the objects and actions are essentially pasted in to the page. For more advanced uses, such as a Master Page design that will be used in several lessons, or a video and notes page that will be reused multiple times, but with different content, you may want to link it. What this will do is keep the elements of the applied-template linked to the regular template. You can unlink certain properties, such as which video it is, or swap out text, but it will allow you to maintain most changes in a single place that will be propagated out. Check out the User Guide templates chapter, and the section on linking (and just remember that you have to publish your templates).

Let me know if you have any more questions regarding templates.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Templates