Template: Tab Resources

Use templates to standardize and re-use content functionality

Moderator: Nav

Template: Tab Resources

Postby Bandy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:12 pm

Hi I'm new to Smartbuilder. I'm currently using the Tab Resources template on a project and want to be able to save and print the notes in the "My Notes" tab. Is there a way to do this. I noticed the template note say to create a globalvariable to save the note but that didn't work. How can you tell if the note is saved? I assume when you exit the course and come back in the notes would still be there. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bandy
Bandy

Printing notes collected in SmartBuilder

Postby SB Support » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:11 am

You can use the Page Controller > printPage function, or the Set > printActiveSubset method to call this print. Both of those will do a screen shot and print the screen.

However, since you are specifically asking about the tabs template, you may end up with more notes than can be displayed in that text entry field. You may want to create a printer friendly pop-up to call the function on instead of the notes pop-up. (I have created an example you can check out in the Shared Library > Lessons folder for reference. It is called "Notes print example".)

Objects needed:

Add a print button to the notes display. Add a new display set to the page. This will be your printer friendly display. Make a large background shape (close to the size of your page. Create a text object (set_to_notes) which you should make as wide as the background shape. You will also need a print button in this display.

Actions:

1. Print button within tab display>onClick -> show printer friendly display.

2. On show of printer friendly display, set set_to_notes text obj to value of input text field in notes display.

3. Print button >onClick -> Display set > print visible subset & hide printer friendly display.
SB Support

Saving notes between sessions

Postby SB Support » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:05 pm

In order to save notes between sessions, you will need to be launching this lesson from a SCORM compliant LMS.

The trick is that before someone leaves the lesson, you want to send their notes to the LMS, and there are several ways you could trigger that to happen.

You could send the notes when the learner clicks a logout button, or a save notes button, or you could save the notes everytime the notes display is closed. Since each time you send an LMS call, it will cause a very slight delay, I would tend to lean toward a manual approach where the user has to take action to make the save happen. However this depends on your learner, and how error-proof you want to make saving those notes. If you think your learner might not log-out properly, or click a save notes button, then you should trigger the call when the notes are hidden.

You will then use the SCORM API object to send this call to the LMS. If you have not done so already, you will need to enable the SCORM API object in your Properties (found at the bottom of the Home Tree) and re-open your lesson.

The SCORM call we'll use is the "cmi.comments" call. Since it is not a common call, we'll be using the Generic SCORM API > LMSSetValue method. This wil pop-up a window with a name and a value field. Enter "cmi.comments" in the name field. In the value field, use the function to go get the text from your notes input text field. Click OK, and your notes will be sent and stored when this action is triggered.

To retrieve your notes, I suggest using the trigger "Master page > onPageLoad". The response method will be to call a set text on your notes input text field. You will then use a function to go get the comments on your LMS. Select the function drop-down and choose the SCORM API > LMSGetValue method. The name field takes "cmi.comments". Click OK twice, and now when your Master page is loaded, it will retrieve those values from the LMS.
SB Support

Re: Template: Tab Resources

Postby markbreugelmans » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Does somebidy know if there's a possibility to show the notes on a summary page at the end of a course?
Thanks in advance.
Mark
markbreugelmans

Postby Nav » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Mark,
Check out this video tutorial - http://help.smartbuilder.com/?q=node/224

Basically it does what you want, collect information and store it in a variable, then display it on a later page. The example in the tutorial stores just a name, but the concept is the same.

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Nav
Nav

Postby markbreugelmans » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks. It have succesfully created a summary of my notes.

Regards,
Mark
markbreugelmans

Return to Templates