Making a Template

Use templates to standardize and re-use content functionality

Moderator: Nav

Making a Template

Postby Luigi » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi all, first post here, so go easy on the noob.. k?

In exploring SmartBuilder it has become crystal clear to me that the real power in this product is the extraction of reusable components to a template. The process I have been using is to get 'things' positioned in the master (wireframe) where I want them, create the actions that make them work correctly and then delete everything else around the parts I want to keep. I then save that off as a template as thats the only I know how to keep the actions I created. Needless to say this is a tedious process as there is constant tweaking that goes on. As you may have surmised, I like a lot of small bits that can be applied as needed instead one fully loaded template.

So... my question is or possibly an enhancement request is... I'd like to be in a master layout, select components on the stage and in the action/logic list and save just those items out to a template of their own - is this currently possible?

Many thanks and please excuse me if this is a dumb question that there is already an obvious answer to.

*cheers*
Luigi

Re: Making a Template

Postby Nav » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi Luigi,
You're already using the most efficient way to create a template. Some tips that you may already be aware of:

• If you're modifying templates, rather than saving new ones from your wireframe, you could just edit your existing template. Maybe you could take a screen grab of main lesson to quickly alter your template.
  • Linked templates - http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/180
  • You can create new templates from scratch, without saving them from a lesson.
  • Another thing that most people don't realize when using templates is that you can copy and paste entire pages in the same lesson or across lessons using the Page Sequencer. So if you're using a template as a starting place, sometimes you don't even need to (it's a little faster to copy and paste a page than apply a template).
That being said, this idea will be easier in version 4, where we are planning on making actions copy-able. I'll make sure that your points come up in the design conservation, though, as it is a good idea.

- Nav
Nav

Return to Templates