Communication with LMS

Use templates to standardize and re-use content functionality

Moderator: Nav

Communication with LMS

Postby markbreugelmans » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:11 am

Hi,
I want to reward my learners by showing a certain display and foreward the score to our LMS.

I tried to do that with SetMaxScore. When a certain display is being showed the SetMaxScore adds 5 points to the total score. Obviously this is not working.
Is there a way I can do this?

Thanks,
Regards,
Mark
markbreugelmans

Re: Communication with LMS

Postby Nav » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Mark,
It sounds like what you want to do is create a separate "Score" variable and add/subtract from that to track your score. Then, when you're done, you can send the value of the variable off to the LMS. To do the first part (create a score variable and alter it), check out the second half of this video (right around the 10 minute mark): http://help.smartbuilder.com/node/224 . It's a little more complex than you need, but it will put you on the right track. Instead of setting the value, and doing a calculation, you'll simply be adding to the variable at certain times.

For the second part (sending the score to the LMS), you'll just need to create an action at the end of the assessment.

Trigger: Question Set > onComplete (or whatever a good trigger is for your interaction. Final Feedback >onShow is always handy, too)
Response: SCORM/AICC > setRawScore > Function > Local Variables > Number > Score > getValue

Oh, and regarding showing the certain display, do you want it to only show if they're above a threshold? You can create a conditional action to look at the score. Unless you're using a Question Set, in which case it's even easier (as part of the Question Set's properties). Without knowing more about your current set up it's hard to speculate.

- Nav
Nav

Re: Communication with LMS

Postby markbreugelmans » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:04 am

Thanks Nav,

This works.
Another question attached to this subject.
If I use a smart Builder question set I can choose to forward the score to the LMS.
But which score will be send to the LMS when I use two question sets in a course?

Can I add other points to the score variable that is used by the question display sets?
markbreugelmans

Return to Templates