Drop Zones

For general questions about Content Authoring

Moderator: Nav

Drop Zones

Postby jmudd » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:21 am

Is it possible to setup a dropzone that will take 1 large image (say 300 pixels wide) OR 2 smaller images (150 pixels wide) side-by-side, marking either as correct? In other words 1 whole = 2 halfs; or 2 halfs = 1 whole. Hope this makes sense. :D
jmudd

Re: Drop Zones

Postby Nav » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:22 am

Hi Janet,
Sort of. You can make it so that only so much stuff fits in the drop zone. However detecting what is in that Drop Zone is currently difficult to do. We're working on a new method to do this, and a video explaining it, but that isn't quite ready yet.

Here's how to do the first part - http://screencast.com/t/8cdUT04oC7zS

- Nav
Nav

Postby jmudd » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:17 am

Thanks Nav, that works. I'll be very interested in the other video (what is in each drop zone) when it is ready. How did you know that was going to be one of my next questions?

Also, is there a way to:
1. give every drop object a value (e.g., half = 1, whole = 2), and
2. then have the page show a total count for all the objects in drop zones (even if it means clicking a button to update the value)?
jmudd

Postby Nav » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:16 pm

Yikes. That will probably be very difficult to assign a number value to each drag object. We can probably get a list of the objects in a drop zone, and then you can see if that list matches what your expect to be in it. But dynamically calculating numbers based on drag objects is much harder. You have to create a series of actions to map each drag object to a numerical value. Possible, but unpleasant.

Still, you'll have to wait til the other method is ready. Also the method for doing this might involve a new widget. So if you're planning to convert this to html5, this wouldn't be possible.

- Nav
Nav

Postby jmudd » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:43 pm

fortunately, the initial instance we were looking to use this for would not have to be HTML5 as it would be for administrator use as opposed to student use. I'll play with it and see what I can figure out based on your comments. Yikes is probably right :)
jmudd

Return to General